Monday, September 8, 2014

Poor neglected blog

It seems like since I started back to work, I don't have time to sit down, much less write about life. Gavin has something everyday. Monday: OT, Tuesday: my friend/co worker who works in an inclusion pre-k/k room has graciously offered to work with Gavin (mainly speech) but she will do a little bit of everything, Wednesday: OT, Thursday: OT, Speech, AND music therapy, Friday: OT. Yeah, I wasn't kidding when I said I hardly have time to sit. I'm not complaining. I am SO grateful for all the help Gavin is receiving. I know I say this a lot, but it is true, and needs to be repeated.....WE ARE VERY BLESSED!

I finally got in touch with an ABA facility. They currently don't take his insurance, but are working on getting it finalized. The bad part, it could take months. Also, I need to get his hearing checked by an ENT doctor. I've been meaning to do this (just for peace of mind) and, well, to be honest, I haven't had time. He hasn't had a formal hearing test since he was 6 months old.

Gavin has been in school for a month now. He absolutely LOVES school. He gets so excited when he sees the bus. I *think* the only problem (that I am aware of) that he is having is he is VERY active. Some days worse than others. All in all, he is doing great though! I am so proud of him.

A couple of weeks ago I had the opportunity to meet an amazing lady:

For those of you that don't know her, this is Temple Grandin. You can learn more about her here.

I talked to her a few minutes, and asked a few questions about Gavin, mainly how to get him talking. As soon as she told me what to do, it was like, "Duh! Why didn't I think of that?!?" Her advice was to get him more speech therapy, NOT from therapists, but from anyone that is willing to volunteer their time to just hang out with him and talk to him. Also, she said make sure you tell him what he is doing wrong. Instead of just saying, "No, Gavin" say, "No, Gavin! Do not climb on the tv stand." "No, Gavin, we use our fork to eat that, not our hands." Like I said, common sense, but for some reason it never crossed my mind. I also bought her book, The Way I See It. I got her to autograph it. :) I haven't had time to read a lot (see above schedule), but what I have read, so far, has been so eye opening! Hearing her speak was an amazing opportunity, and helped me so much!

On a different note, Keegan will be one Friday! NOOOOO! How did that happen? It seems like just yesterday I was holding him for the first time.


Now, he is walking/running everywhere, picking on Gavin, trying to tackle Gavin and steal his toys, and babbling all day long. Seriously, I feel like I blinked and went from ^ that picture to this:








No comments:

Post a Comment